I’m so sad that the Royal Tour is over and now I won’t get to see the lovely outfits and fascinators worn by the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, on a daily basis.
After watching the royal wedding, I wanted to own a fascinator. Yet, after seeing how expensive they can be, I decided to make one myself. Here’s a simple DIY to make your own fascinator to wear on any occasion.
- Mini Felt Top Hat: I purchased one with a 5 inch diameter from Hobby Lobby. It retails for $2.27 and you can use a coupon to save 40% off. *Coupons change every week*
- Chiffon Flower: I purchased my flowers from Michaels’ C’est La Vie Line. It was $4.99 and you get the three flowers seen above. There’s different designs to pick one. There’s also coupons online to save you more money.
- Ribbon: I wanted to use a simple black satin ribbon in a 5/8″ width. Just pick a color that you want to use for contrast. You can purchase a roll from Hobby Lobby for $2.67 and use a coupon to save money.
- Flat Alligator Clips: I picked these flat clips because it would be easier for me to hot glue it on to the top hat. It retails for $1.99 from Hobby Lobby and even cheaper with a coupon. There’s different designs, so pick the clips that work best for you.
- Coque Feathers: I purchased these from Hobby Lobby for less than $3 for a pack of 5-8 feathers. I couldn’t find them online, but I liked the look of them.
- Hot Glue Gun
- Xyron 150 Sticker Maker (optional): This isn’t needed, but it just makes adding the ribbon easier to the hat than a hot glue gun since it adds an adhesive backing to the ribbon.
- Hot glue on two alligator clips, right across from one another to the felt top hat. Make sure you apply pressure after you hot glue, so the clips will stay in place.
- On the side of the hat you want to showcase, place the tips of the feathers at a 45 degree angle against the base of the hat. Hot glue the feather ends to the base of the hat. Then, using the Xyron sticker machine or a hot glue gun attach the ribbon around the base of the top hat with the ribbon covering over the feather ends.
- Hot glue the flower onto the spot where the ribbon and feather ends meet. Voila! You now have a beautiful fascinator to wear.
Where will you wear your fascinator to?
As always, Happy Shopping!